Considering Opening a Charter School in Washington, D.C? 2012 Charter Application Guidelines Released
Monday, October 3, 2011
Contact: Audrey Williams 202-328-2748
Washington, D.C. — The D.C. Public Charter School Board (PCSB) today released its 2012 Application Guidelines for establishing a public charter school in the District of Columbia. The guidelines provide the steps required for organizations seeking approval to open a new charter school or convert a traditional, parochial or private school. The application deadline is February 1, 2012. Approved schools would be authorized to open in the fall of 2013.
The guidelines include the following changes which the Board approved at its September meeting:
• Addendum for Online Schools – Provides guidance to applicant groups interested in establishing virtual learning schools.
• Public Hearings – Hearings will be scheduled over a four-day period to ensure adequate time for Board and public interaction with applicant groups.
• Principal Interviews – Interviews with principals have been removed from the review process.
• Mission Accomplishment Plan – Elements of the Mission Accomplishment Plan were moved to the Educational Plan.
• Processing Fee – The Board will charge a $150 processing fee for each application to establish a public charter school.
Prospective applicants may download the application guidelines from the Board’s website or come into the PCSB offices to pick up a printed copy. The PCSB will host three information sessions for prospective applicants on October 13, November 10 and December 7, 2011 at 6:00pm - 8:00pm at 3333 14th Street, NW 2nd Fl Conf. Room. For more information about the application process, visit the PCSB website at www.dcpubliccharter.com.
The D.C. Public Charter School Board oversees 53 public charter schools on 98 campuses, serving more than 30,000 students living in every ward of the city. Public charter schools now serve approximately 40% of all public school students in Washington, D.C. Learn more about PCSB at www.dcpubliccharter.com