A Look into the 2014 DC Education Festival: Explore. Innovate. Celebrate. (Formerly the DC Public Charter School Expo)
Come learn about public education options in the District at the Washington Convention Center on January 11, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Festival offers parents and adult learners a one-stop opportunity to meet with schools representatives.
Register to attend, volunteer or exhibit, visit dcedufest.org.
The 2014 Festival will feature:
- School Booths, grouped by age/grade, with individual school exhibits and activities.
- My School DC, the brand new online lottery system through which DC families and their children will apply to DC public and DC public charter schools. This area will offer an introduction to and overview of how the new lottery system works and computer workstations for on-site use and sign-up by attendees.
- Performance Stage showcasing schools through student arts and cultural productions. Vocal, instrumental, dance, theatrical and other live performances will be presented throughout the day.
- Demonstration Pavilions where schools can show their strengths – and show off their students through STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) and other curricula- or creatively-based hands-on projects. Attendees can get close to the action and engage with students.
- Workshops addressing basic education topics for DC residents such as assessing your school options, navigating the application process, and communicating with school staff, will repeat throughout the day. Additional workshops on saving and paying for college, financial literacy and other topics of interest will complement the schedule.
- Town Hall Education DC supported by Verizon where representatives from DC government, educational institutions and organizations, and the business, cultural, philanthropic and media communities will come together in a 90-minute program with an expert moderator and an open question-and-answer session.
- Community Market brings together social, community, childcare, tutoring, special ed, health, sports/recreational, cultural/arts, after-school and summer, and similar services and programs with which attendees can connect.
- Career and Volunteer Meet-up will be a wonderful opportunity to find out about employment at DC schools, to meet and network with school and related representatives, and to find out about becoming a volunteer and the assistance that’s needed.