Notice of Petition to Amend Charter: Program Replication, Enrollment Ceiling Increase, Facility Location – Mundo Verde PCS
The District of Columbia Public Charter School Board (“PCSB”) announces an opportunity for the public to submit comment on a proposal submitted by Mundo Verde PCS on April 7, 2017. Under this proposal, Mundo Verde requests permission to amend its charter in the following three ways:
- Replicate program of grades currently served, beginning in grades PK-K in SY 2018-19, and adding a grade a year until the campus is at scale (PK-5).
- Increase the school’s enrollment ceiling to serve an additional 600 students at this second campus, launching in school year 2018-19 with 272 students or fewer, and growing to 600 for school year 2024-25.
- Add an additional facility at a new location, tentatively 4401 8th Street NE (previously the home of other charters including: Potomac Lighthouse PCS, Inspired Teaching Demonstration PCS, and Washington Yu Ying PCS). They intend to lease the property for a minimum of the first three years (SY18-19 through SY20-21), then purchase the property in either year four or five of occupancy. The property currently has 41,500 square feet. They intend to construct an addition of approximately 15,000 in year four to fully accommodate this campus at scale.
Pursuant to the School Reform Act, D.C. Code 38-1802 et seq., a charter school must submit a petition to revise its charter, which includes its enrollment ceiling.
- Comments must be submitted on or before May 22, 2017.
- Public hearing will be held on Monday, May 22nd, at 6:30 pm. For location, please check www.dcpcsb.org.
- Vote may also be held on Monday, June 19th, at 6:30 pm. For more details, please check www.dcpcsb.org.
You may submit comments, identified by “NAME,” by any of the following methods:
- Submit a written comment via: E-mail*: email@example.com
- Postal mail*: Attn: Public Comment, DC Public Charter School Board, 3333 14th ST. NW., Suite 210, Washington, DC 20010
- Hand Delivery/Courier*: Same as postal address above
Sign up to testify in-person at the public hearing on May 22, by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 4 p.m. on Thursday, May 18th.